• Things do change

2012 - 11.25

This morning I was reading about the death of civil rights activist Lawrence Guyot.

Lawrence Guyot AP story

Until this morning I don’t know that I’d really heard much about him. But I bet if I was paying attention as a toddler back in the 60′s I would have.

He worked tirelessly for the civil rights of blacks, including escorting dozens to become registered to vote.

People in Mississippi didn’t like that kind of stuff  back in the 60′s. He literally risked his life to advance equal civil rights for black people. Now Mississippi has more black elected officials than any other state in the country.

See? Things do change. Sometimes it takes the perspective of 50 years to fully appreciate how much. But they do change.

This fall we saw a dramatic shift in the voters response to civil rights for gay people. In virtually every election where discriminating against gay people was put to a vote, the voters said ‘we don’t really want to do that any more.’

That’s big.

A common concern is that gays are demanding special rights. That may be the case for some.

I gave up working for special rights when it became clear that free physician performed cosmetic procedures for all gay people as part of the ‘Keep America Beautiful” project was going nowhere.

Now I just work so that laws that we already have can be enjoyed by all people, and the laws that legalize discrimination go away.

That’s all.

Today’s Gay Agenda: Enjoy the fact a buddy just texted me and said “OMG, check out page E3 in the paper! It a same gender marriage announcement.”

Yes, things do change.

Tags: , , , , ,

6 Responses to “Things do change”

1. Avatar of opinionated opinionated says:

Two thing to stop, discrimination and reverse discrimination. Similar to overcompensating the latter has often become the primary nemesis in society today. That mindset was even the primary contributor to the outcome of our last two elections.

2. Barbara says:

Many thanks for the link, Mac! I remember well those days of the civil rights movement–watching the TV coverage of fire hoses and attack dogs turned loose on peaceful marchers. I think that was the most crying this white woman in rural Minnesota has ever done in her life.
      The current campaign for equal rights for our LGBT fellow citizens is simply another facet of LIVING for freedom for all instead of just TALKING about freedom while practicing exclusion and hate.

3. Avatar of Jon Lindgren Jon Lindgren says:

It’s great to think gay couples will someday, not only be allowed to marry, but allowed to will assets and make the same financial security arrangements as straight couples.

4. bob says:

I am absolutely dumbfounded at the way some of the people I would have considered as anti as you could be have turned around and said “NO” to the amendment in MN! Maybe there’s some hope for common sense in the US?

Ah, since sexuality is a choice, what would it take for a straight guy choose to turn gay? Generations of oppression hasn’t had much luck in turning gay people straight, but maybe I’ve been looking at it backward.

Again, since sexuality is a choice, would it take a million dollars? A new mercedes every year for life? How about curing a life threatening disease of a loved one?

Once more, since sexuality is a choice, what was your deciding factor when choosing whether to be gay or straight? Was is that girls are prettier than guys? Was it some type of physical attribute? Was is the fear of being oppressed?

Since sexuality is a choice, I’d love to read some blogs about someone’s journey in choosing straight sexuality. Gawd knows we’ve got enough whiny gay blogs out there. :)

Actually, it’s been my experience that gay men try to be straight for any number of reasons, mostly because it’s just easier to live the dream if you’re part of an opposite gender couple.

Ricky and I were at a dinner party last Saturday where of the 6 gay men there (late 40′s to early 60′s) five had been previously married. The fewest years of marriage was about 10, the longest just over 20. These guys all chose to be straight but it didn’t work.

All these guys could have chosen to remain in their opposite gender relationship I suppose. Is that really fair to the female? Yes, we dress well and LOVE LOVE LOVE to go shopping and all, but seriously . . .. ?

Back to the choice discussion. The argument you’re using is the one I’ve heard innumerable times–at some point the gay person chooses their sexuality. Whenever I ask someone when they chose to be straight they look at me like I have two heads. You either choose sexuality or you don’t.

Now, don’t confuse sexuality with behavior. There’s alot of ‘love the sinner, hate the sin’ types who have no problem with gays, as long as they’re celibate.

How kind.