• Gun Control

2012 - 12.15

It may surprise everyone who reads TGA, but I don’t see any significant benefit in making semi-automatic weapons illegal. It didn’t work with dope it won’t work with guns.

That being said . . .

We do need to address the process for acquiring and keeping certain types of firearms.

For example:

In every state in the US, everyone must purchase a license to operate their car on state and federal roads. In Florida, I must have my car inspected for safety and emission standards once a year. Once these terms and conditions are satisfied, I can operate my car on the road.

Wouldn’t it seem reasonable to regulate the long term ownership of semi-automatic firearms in some type of fashion? Normal people don’t see annual licensing of our cars as infringement of our freedom, why would we see it differently for guns?

It can take anywhere from 30 to 70 days for a gainfully employed wage earner to go through the process of mortgaging and purchasing a home. Forms, background checks, credit checks; the list goes on.

We do not see our freedom being assaulted because lenders want to protect their cash from people not responsible to handle it. Why would we see our freedom assaulted because society wants to protect its citizens from crazy people with assault rifles?

It can take 60 to 90 days and about $100 for me to purchase a passport so I can go stay at the Fort Garry in Winnipeg. Then, I have to renew this every few years, even if I only want to go there one more time.

Is it such an infringement on our freedom that the process of purchasing and maintaining the privilege of owning semi-automatic guns should require a semi-regular government review and perhaps a financial commitment on the part of the owner to continue this ownership?

And lastly, there is something wrong in a society where the process to adopt and give a warm and loving home to a non-infant or handicapped child is lengthier and infinitely more difficult than the process to purchase a semi-automatic firearm that can change the lives of innumerable children and adults forever.

This is one where I don’t have a proposed answer other than the horror taking place in the United State on an all too frequent basis doesn’t seem to happen in other Western countries.

What we do doesn’t work.

How many children must we bury before we as a society make some type of change?

Today’s Gay Agenda: Blessed be the memory of these dear souls, and may their loved ones at some point find peace and comfort before their journey on this earth ends.

Tags: , ,

9 Responses to “Gun Control”

1. NoDakSt says:

There are countries with less stringent gun control policies then ours that don’t have our problems with violence.

The media clamor and public dialogue that occurs when these shootings happen miss the boat in addressing the real issue of mental health care in this country. As a society we tend to marginalize mental health issues which tends to result in persons suffering from illness to not seek help for fear of being labeled . Combine that with the fact that resources are limited for the on-going care of mental illness from all aspects including medication, case work, and therapy.

2. Marcie Neuman says:

I agree with NoDakSt above. The solution must be multi-faceted. Just because we need to provide more options for mental health care doesn’t mean we can’t also do something about the guns that are designed for one purpose only- to kill as many people as quickly as possible. I am not referring to banning all guns or even automatic or semi automatic guns. However, there is no need for someone to be able to shoot dozens of rounds in a matter of seconds unless they are at war.

I haven’t been watching this story very closely, but once again I must agree with James. I cannot help but think this could have turned out differently if Adam’s mother had exercised her right to own firearms and defend herself from someone intent on harming her.

4. PJ Holden says:

Mr. Haglund notes the decreases in gun crimes with confiscation. He does not note any changes in number of robberies, suicides, murders. Just listing gun crimes is not telling “the rest of the story”.

5. Anonymous says:

Unfortunately there is no absolute right or wrong here. Still, no way in hell will I allow our government to track and oversee my personal property in this fashion. Frankly I see that as being nothing more than a first step to their taking control and possession of our 2nd amendment rights later own the road. I also don’t think it would do any good. The only people who would voluntarily register all their devices are not the ones we need to worry about anyway. The problem element would work around registrations anyhow. Else they would simply move more towards other options such as explosives.
      I won’t faulty people from thinking registration is a potential way to avoid future catastrophes, that’s a natural response to the horror of living thru such an event, but it’s simply blindly overreacting to an issue and grasping desperately at anything to make it go away and not repeat.

6. opinionated says: